This application form is for students wishing to apply for the above award. To be considered, all applicants must complete the information below, complete a FAFSA, meet minimum academic requirements and complete depaiiment designated activities ("performances") as outlined below. Please read the award terms and conditions before filling out the application form.
Applicants approved by the department head will be processed and funds will be deposited in the student's account to cover tuition, room and board after the last day to withdrawal from a single course. This is not a cash award. Should an applicant not meet the minimum requirements and complete designated activities the award may be rescinded at the discretion of the FLPA committee. This may create an unpaid balance on the applicant's account. The applicant must pay the remaining balance to avoid a "hold" being placed on the account, which can affect enrollment and financial aid status for subsequent semesters adversely. I understand that not fulfilling minimum requirements may create a balance on my account that I will have to pay in order to remain in good standing with my fiduciary responsibilities at Missouri Southern State University. If I am awarded a scholarship/performance award administered by Missouri Southern State University I must meet satisfactory academic progress.
Scholarship recipients may receive athletic and performing awards, which must be coordinated with the scholarship not to exceed the student's college costs. All scholarships are subject to change without notice and are subject to review by the Scholarship Committee upon receipt of funds and authorization by the Board of Governors. Missouri Southern State University does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, creed, color, national origin, disability, or age in its educational programs or activities.
- Fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid at FAFSA.ed.gov. (Only needs to be completed once for each academic year.)
- Be a declared Major or Minor in a Foreign Language.
- Enroll as a full-time (12 hours minimum) student at MSSU each semester the award is received.
- Enroll in at least one Foreign Language class each semester the award is received. (Exceptions made for students enrolled in a study abroad program or Foreign Language education majors during student teaching.)
- Maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA and receive no grade lower than a "B" in each language class taken.
- Participate in Foreign Language Field Day.
- Be an active member of the appropriate language club and participate in those club activities.
- Notify your Foreign Language advisor or the Department Secretary of any class changes, address or email changes during the semester you are receiving the award.
AWARD PROCESSING, ACCEPTANCE AND RENEWAL
This application must be completed by December 1st
and May 1st
the semester before the FLPA
is awarded. This application must be completed by New and Former applicants
. Failure to
complete form may result in loss of award.
The FLP A applicants and recipients will receive an acceptance or status email. This will be sent
to the MSSU assigned student email address.
The Foreign Language Performance Award Committee reserves the right to distribute or rescind
awards based on current budgets, terms and conditions, student qualifications and department
priorities. With recommendations from the faculty advisor and the FLPA committee, all
applications and renewals are then presented to the Department Head for final review.
This award is NOT
automatically renewed. The FLPA committee will review all recipient
records for subsequent semesters and ensure that the applicants meet all qualifying criteria. In
order to renew the award, the applicant must have their foreign language advisor's
recommendation for renewal, meet all paiiicipation requirements each semester the award is
received and respond to the acceptance e-mail in a timely manner
. A student who tests out of a language course, takes a placement exam and/or receives retro credit
does not fulfill the requirement of being enrolled in a foreign language class and therefore cannot
be eligible for the award that semester on that basis alone.
TYPES OF AWARD STATUS
- Good Standing status is a situation in which a student does meet all minimum requirements and
is eligible to receive or renew the award without permission of the FLPA Committee.
- Funded Probation status is a situation in which a student did not meet one or more minimum
requirements but is eligible to renew the award with approval and permission of the FLPA
Committee on a case-by-case basis during a probationary semester. The student is obligated to
meet minimum requirements and perform activities during or by the end of the probationary
semester to be in good standing for the following semester. A student who is cunently on
funded probation and merits funded probation for two semesters in a row will be put on nonfunded
probation for one semester. Students may reapply for the award after that time if the
student demonstrates him/herself to be an active participant in departmental events, club
activities, etc. to the committee at the time of reapplication.
- Non-funded Probation status is a situation in which a student did not meet one or more
minimum requirements and is not eligible to renew the award during a probationary
semester. The student is obligated to meet minimum requirements and perform activities as if
s/he were receiving the award during the probationary semester to be in good standing for the
following semester. Two consecutive probationary semesters under this status may result in a
Denied status during subsequent semesters.
- Denied status is a situation in which a student does not meet one or more minimum requirements
and cannot receive the award again due to consistent lack of academic progress and/or
Please confirm that you've read, understood, and accepted above terms before filling out the following form:
MSSU Student Email:
Check all that apply: